Friday, January 13, 2012

White Russian Cupcakes

Wednesday night was our staff party. For this special occasion, I made White Russian Cupcakes. I had seen some recipes but decided that one was the right one. I borrowed from "CB" at iheartcuppycakes.com. CB also had worked from Martha Stewart's recipe, which I had originally looked at but wasn't sure about. CB calls hers "White Russian Cupcakes v.2" Here is her recipe:

White Russian Mini-Cupcakes
INGREDIENTS (Makes 24 full sized cupcakes, 72 mini cupcakes)

For cupcakes-
2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 cup sugar
12 tbsp butter, room temperature
2 large egg + 2 egg whites, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream (I used half&half)
1/4 cup Vodka
1/4 cup + 4 tbsp Kahlua, divided

Baking directions are on her website: iheartcuppycakes, White Russian Cupcakes v.2

The results: The cupcakes were delicious! When they were first out of the oven, we could really taste the alcohol, but by the time the party came around a day and a half later, they were just creamy (from the half&half) and delicious. The part that I really got the compliments on was the frosting...

CB's INGREDIENTS, my measurements:

For Kahlua Swiss Meringue Buttercream**
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into pieces
4-6 tsp Kahlua, to taste

I also added (after I tasted how buttery the frosting was):
3 tbsp half & half
1 cup confectioner's sugar

The results: The final frosting was fluffy and creamy and buttery and had a nice little kick from the added Kahlua. I gave each cupcake a little dollop with a floral frosting tip and topped them off with Silver French Dragees and they looked really nice, and tasted great!

No comments:

Post a Comment