Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Arizona Dreaming Tomato Sauce


The ingredients before mixing

We always keep a stock of fresh made and fresh frozen ravioli with fun and exciting fillings, usually vegetable fillings, so that when we don't feel like making a big dinner, the freezer helps us out. Tonight I cooked up some asparagus ravioli and Florentine ravioli with spinach. For a sauce, I found that I had to use the tomatoes that have been hanging around our counters and the parsley and the other shallot that were left over from the meatballs last night.

The sauce after mixing
I decided to take a break from my knife skills and popped everything into the food processor. I put 3 tomatoes, a bunch of parsley, 1 shallot, 1 garlic clove, 1 small can tomato sauce, 1 small can tomato paste, salt and pepper, 1/2 tsp sun dried tomato powder, 1/2ish tsp Penzey's Arizona Dreaming spices (http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysarizonadreaming.html), thyme olive oil. I pureed them and popped the sauce onto the stove for a few minutes, and enjoyed! It was pretty spicy, but I've been working on eating slightly spicier foods so I'm not left out of so much in the culinary world.

I love low maintenance meals like this one, but I wish I had a better color pick up on my phone so that the sauce would look more red than brown when I take the picture. I will try the real camera next time. The plan for tomorrow is Maple BBQ Chicken Wings and whole roasted carrots... my mouth is watering thinking about it! I also ordered a new toy that should be here by Monday. I can't wait to try it out and write all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment