Monday, January 16, 2012

Knife Skills

Knife skills on potato
I have been working on my knife skills lately. I have been trying to see how thin and evenly I can slice things. I have been paying close attention to the ways that various chefs cut on TV as well as listening to the advice they have when they give it. For dinner tonight, I worked my skills on potatoes. I sliced them super thin and laid them flat on a pan drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled them with my go-to seasoning (Melting Pot Garlic & Wine Seasoning) and baked them at 350* for a short while. These potatoes were so delicious! They were crispy and well seasoned and I was so happy with them.

I also have been experimenting with a new method of cooking broccoli. I have been peeling the stalk and slicing thin all the way up to and through the florets. I sauteed them on a pan with a little olive oil and fresh sliced garlic, salt and pepper. They cook quickly, have plenty of flavor, and then I don't waste the stalk.
Knife skills on potato

Lastly, we tried two new things today and I think if I enjoyed red wine, I would have enjoyed one of them more. We bought some dried trumpet and lobster mushrooms and reconstituted them in a pan with red wine and garlic. I could not get into the bitterness of them, but Nathan quite enjoyed them. We also cooked up some red trout and it was a nice tasting fish. It was soft like tilapia and tasted more like salmon. It went in the pan with a little olive oil and Melting Pot seasoning.

Overall, it was a good dinner and I am proud of my growing skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment