Sunday, January 15, 2012

Cookbook: The World of Street Food


For Hanukkah this year, our dear friend Joe got us the kind of gift that keeps on giving: a great cookbook. The book is "The World of Street Food: Easy Quick Meals to Cook at Home" by Troth Wells. Being the adventurous kind of cooks and foodies that we are, we are up to the challenge of bringing international street food into our home. The book includes recipes from Africa, Asia, Latin America & Caribbean, Middle East & North Africa. I can foresee that some recipes will require some sort of substitutions due to the fact that I don't know whether I'll be able to find cassava root, and other various items. I can't wait to try out the Indian pav bhaji (vegetables with bread) or the Colombian bandeja paisa (which appears to be a bean and beef hash).

When Nathan and I go out of town, we enjoy finding the places where the locals would eat and eat what the locals would eat. One of the best parts of leaving home is getting a taste of what other people call home. I know that whatever I make will not be anything like what the real people make. However, one day I hope to visit these areas of the world and have the real thing. In the meantime, I will do my best and enjoy whatever comes out of my kitchen.

Thanks Joe! A proper review will come along when I try some of these fabulous recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment