Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Provincial Dinner

Carrots & ingredients

Tonight for dinner, I made BBQ chicken wings with whole carrots. Remember the dinner scene in What About Bob where Bill Murray goes crazy for the dinner and makes yummy noises that just seem obscene? Or the dessert scene in Young Frankenstein where the monster makes the yummy noises? This dinner was like that.

Carrots pre-oven
Chicken:
1 package kosher chicken wings
olive oil
pinch Penzey's Spices Arizona Dreaming
1/2ish cup William's Sanoma Maple Mesquite BBQ Sauce
salt

Carrots:
1 bunch whole thin carrots with the tops and tips cut off
olive oil
smoked garlic salt
100% pure maple syrup

Chicken from the oven

First, I baked the chicken for about 30 minutes at 350* in the oven with olive oil in the pan and a pinch of Penzey's Arizona rubbed onto each wing and a bit of salt. Next, I placed the carrots in an aluminum foil pouch with all the ingredients and closed it up before placing it into the oven for 10-15 minutes. After I took the chicken wings out of the oven, I seared them on a pan and then added the juice from when the chicken was in the pan and cooked the wings in the BBQ sauce until the sauce got nice and thick.

Chicken in BBQ sauce


The wings were absolutely fantastic, in fact, Nathan licked the bowl. The carrots were soft and crunchy and just picked up the flavor of the olive oil, maple syrup, and garlic salt. When I make food like this, I can't believe that I was a vegetarian for 14 years. It isn't that I regret the years I was a strict vegetarian- it was the right thing for me for all those years- but I am happy that I am more open in my options now.

No comments:

Post a Comment