Saturday, February 11, 2012

Spring Leek Hash with Polenta and Cheese


Hash & Polenta
Leek & Pepper Hash
In my latest edition of Vegetarian Times, there was a recipe that looked so interesting and simple, I knew I just had to try it. The recipe only had one slight variation where in it originally called for goat cheese and even though I love it, Nathan doesn't. It was so simple, the most complex part was the slicing and dicing, which I love. I sauteed 3 leeks (finely sliced), 1 red pepper (finely sliced) and 2 tbsp fresh thyme (the recipe called for 1 tbsp in the dish and 1 tbsp on top, but I decided to put it all inside). The recipe also called for red pepper flakes, but we didn't have any. In the end, Nathan solved this the problem the same way he usually does: sriracha sauce. Once the veggies were nice and bright, about 10 minutes, I added in 1/4 cup vegetarian chicken broth and 4 minced cloves of garlic (the recipe called for 3 and two were a little small, so I brought it up to 4). I moved the veggies into a Pyrex pan, covered it with thick sliced polenta, topped it off with finely shredded cheese and baked it at 400* for 10 minutes. I can't remember the name of the cheese, but it was a mildly sharp white cheese. It had a bit of a fruity nutty taste to it as well.
Baked Polenta with Cheese

All in all it was a deliciously flavorful, salt free, low fat, vegetarian dinner. I wonder what it would have tasted like with a great goat cheese. I have also been a little proud of myself the last few recipes using peppers. I do love peppers, especially red, orange, and yellow peppers. However, I don't like them hot (temperature wise), and especially not roasted. I usually steer clear of recipes with peppers but I decided to stop doing that, and they were surprisingly fantastic in this dinner, and even in my tomato soup last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment