Saturday, February 11, 2012

Breakfast Squares


Breakfast Square Assembly Steps
Folded Breakfast Square
With breakfast being my favorite meal of the day, I like to have an awesome breakfast even when I don't have the time. My solution to this comes at quite a price of time and cash, but it is well worth it. Being a vegetarian, I had to find a solution that didn't involve real meat, and being a health conscientious type of person, I like to know what is in my food. I came up with a solution that is similar to the Pillsbury Toaster Scrambles. What I do first is I take the low fat Pillsbury crescent rolls dough, which comes in a sheet of 8 triangles, and separate them out into four rectangles. I place some scrambled eggs in the center of one half and top it off with one piece of MorningStar Farms Veggie Bacon and half a piece of American cheese. I fold the roll over and pinch it shut. I bake the squares at 350* for 10 minutes, flipping half way through. After they have cooled, I stick them in the freezer, separated by parchment paper. When it comes time to defrost them, I like to pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds and then flip it over for another 30 seconds. That way, I can be sure that the inside is entirely warmed. I put the square in the toaster on low and then flip it over for another go on low. It is a lot of work for an even cook, but it really is worth it.
Cracked Eggs

When I make my squares, I like them to be worth my time and I do what I can to make them last a long time. I start with 12 Pillsbury crescent roll tubes, 2 packages of American cheese with 12 slices each, 24 eggs, and 48 pieces of veggie bacon. I really get a great assembly line together when it comes time to start putting them together and they get more efficient each time I make them. This makes 48 breakfast squares, and I like to add some chipotle powder for Nathan in a batch, and then I sprinkle a little on top. He likes a little kick in his food.

No comments:

Post a Comment