Sunday, February 19, 2012

Fried Poached Eggs over Salami Potato Hash

Saturday morning, I made something totally special, since it was after all- the weekend. I had been thinking about salami and eggs, but I wanted to do something a little more special than just scrambled eggs with fried salami in it. I had thought back to the episode of 5 Ingredient Fix with Claire Robinson and the episode when she makes Deep Fried Poached Eggs, and I thought to myself: I can do that! I decided to make a potato and leek hash with salami. I plated it with the eggs resting on tip and I was oh so proud of it all.
Not the most clear picture, but a delicious breakfast!

After poaching eggs to taste (I like mine super runny), dry them off on paper towels. Dust the poached eggs in flour, roll in beaten eggs, coat with panko (with salt and pepper) and fry eggs in a heavy saucepan with hot fry-ready pan oil. Take the eggs out of the oil and rest them on paper towels. Meanwhile, I sautéed 1 leek in a small amount of olive oil, add softened (by microwave, but boiling would be fine too) diced potatoes and diced salami (I used lean Hebrew National). Season with salt and pepper.



The eggs were runny inside and crispy on the outside. I was so happy with them. My poaching skills need to get better but I think there is hope for me. I heard that if you put a bit of white vinegar in the water that it causes the egg whites to cling together. I knew that there was also something about swirling the water, but I didn't quite get it right. I am sure I will only get better so I am not worried. Eventually I will be a poaching champion!


In other news, I got an app where I can put recipes together and it will tell me the calorie count of each meal, so if I put it in I will add it to the bottom of my posts. I can't promise accuracy, but I can try!


Fried Poached Eggs over Salami Potato Hash: ~400 calories in total, ~200 calories in the poached eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment