Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Curry Cabbage and Chicken

And yet another curry. This one was inspired by the bag of chopped cabbage I received (thanks Efrat!) that day and I decided that I would try a recipe I had seen for Curry Cabbage but I would serve it with chicken and do it over egg noodles, to break up the cabbage feel and flavor a little. Overall, it was a great success and it is a recipe I would try again. I got the recipe for the cabbage from Cooking Light magazine, found on  MyRecipes.com. Of course, I tweaked the recipe a great deal, but that was my inspiration.
Curry Cabbage and Chicken over Egg Noodles
1 yellow onion, diced
1 package large cut egg noodles
1 tbsp minced ginger
8 cups Osem chicken consomme

2 minced garlic cloves
1 pound chicken breast, skinless boneless
1 shallot, diced
8 cups chopped green cabbage
2 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp whole grain mustard

I heated the oil in a large pan over medium heat. I added the shallots, onion, and garlic (super-finely chopped) and cooked until browned. I added the mustard and the curry and cooked for one minute, stirring constantly. I stirred in the cabbage and 1 cup of the chicken consomme, stirred and cooked to desired tenderness. 

While this was cooking about, I brought the rest of the chicken consomme to a boil and cooked the noodles in it. I heated another pan and placed small cut up pieces of chicken and let it cook in the pan. I added a bit of curry, mustard, and consomme (to keep it from drying out to quickly) to the chicken, and cooked it until it was finished.

I removed the noodles and placed them at the bottom of the plate, topped it with the cabbage, and finished it off with the chicken pieces. It was so tasty and the little whole grain mustard pieces were a delightfully spicy surprise each time I bit into one! It gave the whole dish a little needed crunch.

Curry Cabbage and Chicken over Egg Noodles ~340 calories per serving, recipe makes 6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment